Mmm… Masala Dosa. The most popular dish amongst every section of people, young, younger; youngest? This is the way we make it at home. The addition of tomatoes makes it tangy. My husband's favourite.
Ingredients for the stuffing:
Oil 4 tbsp
Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
Urad dal, broken ¼ tsp
Channa dal ½ tbsp, soaked in little water for 10 minutes.
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Onion 1, sliced thinly
Green chillies 4, slit
Ginger ½”, grated
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Cabbage ¼ cup, shredded
Tomatoes 2, chopped
Salt to taste
Sambhar powder ½ tsp
Potatoes 4, boiled and crushed
Lemon juice to taste
Coriander leaves 2 tbsp, chopped fine
Method for the stuffing:
- Heat oil and season with mustard, urad, channa dal and curry leaves.
- Add onions, ginger, green chillies, cabbage and turmeric powder. Sauté over a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add sambhar powder, salt and tomatoes. Stir cook until soft.
- Add coarsely crushed potatoes and mix well. Check for salt and add lemon juice to taste.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
To make the Masala Dosa:
- Heat a dosa tawa.
- Smear some oil lightly with a tissue.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter using a flat ladle and spread in a clockwise direction.
- Spoon oil all around the dosa. Cover and cook for a minute. When the underside has browned, (changed colour) place filling on one half and fold the other half over - to cover the masala.