Aviyal

Think coconut - then you tend to think Kerala. Their cuisine uses coconut based products extensively. Aviyal is one such dish. It is a dish prepared for important functions and festivals; and has found its way into the hearts of many who have tasted it.

It is traditionally made from the locally available vegetables. New entrants like Carrots and Beans now feature in this dish. In restaurants it is served with Adai - a mixed lentil crepe.

Aviyal



Ingredients:

Coconut 1 cup
Rice 1 tsp
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Green Chilli 6
Yam 100 g
Potato 100 g
Ash gourd 100 g
Drumstick 1
Raw banana 1
Red pumpkin 100 g
Broad beans 50 g
Carrot 50 g
Water 1 cup
Turmeric Pd ½ tsp (optional)
Salt to taste
Coconut oil 1 Tbsp
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Curds ¾ cup
Method:
Grind coconut with chilies and cumin.
Chop vegetables into 2" thin fingers.
Cook yam separately and discard water.
Cook vegetables in water with turmeric pd (if using) and salt till tender.
Add the ground paste and cook for a minute. Take off heat.
Heat coconut oil and add curry leaves sprig into oil. Pour seasoning into hot vegetable mixture and mix well. Mix in beaten curds.
Serves 4-6
Sending this to Shanthi's State Specials.

Comments

Srivalli said…
I am sorry for the late reply!..saw your comment about wanting a copy of my menu planner...can you let me know your email so that I can mail you that...good to know you are from madras...and interesting space you have!
EC said…
Aviyal looks so delicious..yumm
anudivya said…
Reminds me of how long I have gone without eating Aviyal... and I love the dish, so I don't know why I have not indulged it in a while. I must get some veggies next time. Looks creamy and nice.

Popular Posts