Thalicha Idli @ Idli Uppuma

One left-over food item that brings a smile to my face (and most people, I guess) is the Idli. I start drooling thinking of the endless possibilities it offers. Literally!!! Idli is not easy to crumble when fresh. So, we do need a day old idli (at least). Thalicha Idli (Seasoned Idli) is great as a breakfast / a snack. The humble Idli entices even the most finicky palate in this avatar. No complaints what-so-ever from any quarter.

My friend Mahalakshmii taught me this wonderful variation, and my son loves this. "The idli crumbles better when stored in a refrigerator" - she taught, and this tip of hers makes the dish outstanding. Every time I make this, I remember her.
I'm sure everyone has a favourite version of this recipe. Here is mine. hmmmmmmmmmmm.........



 
Ingredients:
Leftover Idli - 4
Onion - 1/4 cup, chopped fine
Green Chillies - 2, minced
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Jeera - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - 4, chopped
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander Leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped

Method:
Crumble the Idli's in a bowl.
Heat oil in a kadai. Splutter mustard seeds. Add Urad and when it changes colour, add jeera, chillies and onion and saute over a medium flame. Lower flame. Add curry leaves and turmeric powder.
After a minute, tip in the crumbled idli and stir fry over a high heat.
Serve Hot garnished with coriander leaves.

Enjoy this with a cup of Masala Chai.


Note:
The finer the crumble (Idli) the tastier it is.

Comments

Nithya said…
Love this kind of upma :)Its a instant fix for evening hunger. We used to make with the idly left over after breakfast. :)
Priti said…
Looks yum ...I do this using leftovers
Ramya said…
I make this often when I have left over idlis. Only difference is that I use red chily powder or chutney powder :-)
Delicious idli uppma,luks gr8!!!
kitchen queen said…
delicious and mouth watering idli upma.
Champa said…
endless possibilities han!!!!! talkin like an isha teacher akka :) :) :)
Ramya said…
Please check out my first event and do send in your entries
http://ramyasrecipe.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-first-event-fusion-foodpasta.html
Ramya said…
Hi, I'm hosting my first event. Fusion Food: Pasta
Please visit, I would love to receive entries from you..
Mahalakshmi said…
Oh my!I was just thinking of you and saw you on the Facebook and here it led me to your blog..The first recipe was thalicha idli and was just going through it even though I know this.And there.....you have mentioned my name in it,was really really happy to to know that you still remember the tip I gave you..Great Meena..I have a blog too..And it is just about embroidery and sewing..
mahaskills.blogspot.com.

I can proudly say that you made my stitching better with your sugesstions..
chitraj.hegde said…
hey upama looks yummy..i too prepare like the same method.........looking good
Now Serving said…
simple yet well loved one, Meena!

Popular Posts