Poha / Aval Uppuma

Poha ... I first tasted this delicacy at Coimbatore. Until then it was anathema to me. Amma served it one rainy evening when I had gone home for holidays.
Aval Uppuma is the my version of the favourite Maharashtrian Poha. For various reasons, I prefer to cook without onions. This is one such recipe, modified - with the addition of vegetables. There are times when I do not have peas in the freezer; I add roasted peanuts (groundnuts) instead of green peas. We enjoy it for breakfast and at snack time and ... at those times when I simply cannot think of what to do and also when I need something in a jiffy.


Ingredients:
Aval - 2 cups
Potato - 1
Cabbage - 1/2 cup, shredded
Tomato - 1, chopped fine
Green Peas - 1/2 cup
Ginger - 1/2
Green Chillies - 3
Oil - 3 Tbsp
Mustard - 1/4 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Jeera - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
Turmeric Pd - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Lemon Juice - 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves - 2 Tbsp

Method:
 Wash the poha and drain well*. Keep aside for 10 - 15 minutes. Peel and chop the potato to the size of flakes (flat & small) - it should blend well with the Poha. Grate or mince the ginger. Chop chillies finely.
Heat oil in a kadai and splutter mustard, jeera and urad dal. Add curry leaves, ginger and chili. Add turmeric powder along with vegetables and saute for 2 minutes. Add salt to taste and sprinkle water. Simmer until vegetables are nearly cooked.
Add the soaked Aval and stir to mix well. Cook covered for 2 - 3 minutes. Leave undisturbed for a couple of minutes.
Sprinkle lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and serve hot.


Hope you enjoy my version as much as I do.

Note:
*Be very quick while washing the poha. Dunk handfuls of poha in a bowl of water. Swish it around for 2 seconds and remove the poha (aval) from the water, squeezing the extra water out. Transfer to a bowl. It will swell up and be dry to touch in 10 minutes or so.
This ensures that the dust is well removed.
** Use Aval (Poha) of medium thickness. Each variety absorbs water in different proportions.

Comments

simply.food said…
Lovely one pot meal.
kitchen queen said…
lovely and my favourite snack.
Priya said…
Looks delicious.
Deeksha said…
Poha looks very very tasty. Love the addition of cabbage in it. Yum...
Beautiful looking poha .. a great snack for evening tea !
www.sunshineandsmile.com
chitraj.hegde said…
gr8 snack...I love it any time.....this looks fab..
looks healthy and delicious :)

Popular Posts