Cabbage Sambal


The other day, I sat down to update the index page and it was quite a surprise to me to know that I had not shared my favourite side-dish. Murugan Annan (our cook for aeons) makes a fabulous Sambal, especially for my husband and me when we visit Panayapatti. Several times I have asked him to teach me the tricks of the trade. He would fob me off or add in some secret ingredient at the blink of an eye.
I have perfected this side-dish over the years. Finally, I have my Husband's seal of approval! Today he said that it tasted exactly like Murugan Annan's Sambal.
It has made my day!!!!!

Ingredients:
Cabbage - 1/4 Kg, shredded
Onion - 1, sliced thinly
Carrots - 1, large
Potato - 1, large
Tomato - 1, small
Oil - 2 Tbsp
Mustard - 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 pinch
Jeera - 1 pinch
Sombhu - 1 pinch
Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
Turmerric Pd
Sambhar Pd - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste

Instructions:
Peel and chop carrots and potatoes into fine matchsticks.
Heat oil in a kadai and splutter mustard, urad, jeera and sombhu. Add onions and curry leaves.
Saute until onions turn transparent. Add in turmerric powder, potatoes and carrots. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add sambhar powder, salt to taste and chopped tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes are pulpy.
Mix in the shredded cabbage and stir cook over high flame until well mixed.
Simmer cook covered for 4 to 5 minutes until cabbage is cooked (but crisp); sprinkling water as needed.

I like to layer (sandwich) Uthappam's in my lunch-box with this masala.

Serve with Idli / Dosa / Idiappam / Aapam.

Comments

kitchen queen said…
lovely and delicious recipe.
Priya's Feast said…
my fav side dish too...happy new year to you
Priya said…
Delicious sambal.

Popular Posts