Macaroon Syrup Cake


Baking --- my first passion. It’s been a while since I have baked anything. It has taken a back seat for various reasons. I have so many books on baking and I keep drooling over those pictures and @ the baking sites that I follow.
The first few hurdles were over – buying the basic ingredients. Next, I had to zero in on a recipe with the ingredients at hand (did not want to postpone further). I have a fond memory of a Lemon Cake that my mother made ages ago and so I chose this recipe from ‘The Australian Women’s Weekly’.
There have been various attempts previously, where I failed miserably and lost confidence in baking. I faced a few challenges today...
The creaming of the butter and sugar took ages - the sugar was grainy!
I got the cake into the oven and towards the end of the baking time; there was a Power Cut!!
My crestfallen face was enough to make Amma and Ram perk me up. We left it in the oven for some more time until it was dry before spooning the syrup over.
It was GOOD! (I had to threaten Ram to take a picture before it vanished).
Amma said that it was like having Coconut Burfi in a cake.
“Freakishly Amazing” - is my Son's verdict!
Macaroon Syrup Cake
Ingredients:
Butter – 120 grams
Fine Sugar – 1 cup
Eggs – 4
Coconut – 2 cups
Flour – 1 cup
Baking Powder – 2 tsp

For the Lemon Syrup:
Sugar – 1 cup
Water – 2/3 cup
Lemon Rind – ½ tsp

Instructions:
Prepare an 8” ring mould – Grease and dust with plain flour.
Oven Temperature – 160 * C
Sift flour with baking powder.
If using freshly grated coconut, toast until dry over a medium heat.
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a large bowl.
Beat in eggs, one at a time until well combined.
Stir in coconut and sifted flour. Mix very gently.
Transfer into the prepared cake tin and bake in a pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes.
Pour hot syrup over hot cake and allow to cool.
Serve with a dollop of whipped fresh cream.

For the Lemon Syrup:
Combine all the ingredients for the syrup and stir cook over a slow flame until sugar dissolves.
Bring to a boil, simmer for 3 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts