Bit Dosa / Pappu Rotta

A truly wonderful dish that I chanced upon here @ Sudha's Blog. It had me jumping for joy. Quite an unexpected find. I had tasted this at Coimbatore several years back at a huge event. Sweet and savoury - both. Yummmmmm. The person who supplied this would not even tell me the name of the dish. I remember the soft melt in the mouth feel of the Dosa. The only thing I do not remember the dal. I felt that it may be reduced and cooked softer still.
Once I saw this, I did not even close Sudha's page as I wanted to try this recipe immediately. I followed the instructions to the 't' and was rewarded with an awesome dish. It was worth the effort.

Pappu Rotta / Bit Dosa
Ingredients:
For the Dosa
Raw Rice - 1 cup
Coconut - 2½ Tbsp, grated
Salt to taste

For the Seasoning:
Tur Dal - 1½ Tbsp
Oil - 2 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds - ½ tsp
Urad Dal - ½ tsp
Turmerric Powder - ¼ tsp
Green Chillies - 5, ground coarsely
Curry Leaves
Corriander Leaves - 2 Tbsp
Juice of half a Lemon

Instructions:
Wash and soak the rice for 2 hours.
Cook the Dal until soft, but firm. Keep aside with the water in which it was cooked.
Add grated coconut to the rice and grind to a very smooth paste with salt to taste.
Keep batter aside in a large bowl.
Wash the mixer jar with about 1/2 cup of water and transfer to a pan. Cook this water over medium heat to thicken.
Add it to batter and mix well. Add more water as needed to the batter to get a pouring consistency.
Heat a tava and pour the batter thinly to make a Dosa (Like Rava Dosa). Cover and allow to set.
Flip over and cook for 5 seconds. Remove to a plate. Cut into tiny squares.
Repeat for the remaining batter.
Keep the cut Dosa in a plate, covered.


Heat oil in a kadai and splutter mustard seeds and urad dal. Add curry leaves, turmerric powder and green chillies. Immediatedly add the cooked dal with the water (about 5 - 6 Tbsp) in which it was cooked. Simmer until the water has almost eveporated.
Add Dosa bits and mix gently. Add chopped corriander leaves and lemon juice. Mix well and serve.

Comments

Ramya said…
What a yummy dish! Perfect way to use left over dosas:-)
sounds interesting and new to me...
looks delicious :)
Sudha Sabarish said…
Thank u Minu for trying out my dish.This is our traditional dish and of course yes in coimbatore we will get in many place.
Ur blog is nice with new innovations.Happy to follow you.
wow very nice recipe,thanks to sudha...u did well.
Poonam Borkar said…
looks so delicious..love it!!
Spicy-Aroma

Popular Posts