Doughnuts

Doughnuts...
way back a treat introduced by my Grandpa. When in Chennai (our summer holidays), he would be at "Spencers" exactly at 11:00 and wait for the fresh batch of still warm Doughnuts to enter the store and come home with doughnut rings. The store keeper once gave me a lecture saying that the ones with the hole are called Doughnut Rings, and the jam filled ones without the holes are doughnuts. Grandpa befriended the store keeper with each of his visits (He was a pro at getting information from the toughest of chefs). Later he would be waiting right at the exit-point of the factory to collect the freshly made, delectable, juicy doughnuts.

Nothing is yet available in the market to match the taste that still lingers in my memory.

When I saw this very easy, non fussy recipe with a one hour resting time in the fridge; I had to try it out. Immediately.
I worked out the quantities (to be just enough for the morning - influenced by Dessert for Two), kept everything ready (from mixing bowl to ingredients - my sisters influence), and dreamt about it!
In the morning - I mixed up the dough, rested it in the fridge and got ready for the day. Made them, asked my son to enjoy them at his convenience, and then... asked him as sweet as I could to please take a picture for me.
It was tasty and I will definitely be making them again.
But... not as light and juicy as the one G.pa brought for us.

Ingredients:
Flour - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup, rounded
Baking Powder - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Egg - 1
Milk - 1/4 cup
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Orange Peel - 1 tsp
Orange Essence - few drops
Oil for deep frying
Sugar to dust doughnuts.

Instructions:
Take 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Mix well.
 Lightly beat the egg and mix milk, orange peel, essence, and oil together.
Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the egg-milk mixture. Stir until it comes together.
Add in remaining flour (and 2 Tbsp extra if necessary) and knead to a smooth dough (Just 1 minute).
Cover with a cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Roll out on a floured surface to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into rings (small 2" ones - makes about 6).
Heat oil in a deep vessel and gently drop in the doughnut rings one by one and fry until golden.
Drain on absorbent paper. Dust with powdered sugar while still warm.

Do tell me if you liked it!

Comments

Woow wonderful..looks like store bought..
Priya said…
Wow cant take my eyes from ur click..irresistible doughnuts!

Popular Posts