Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips and Candied Ginger

One more on my to-do list has been the Banana Bread. I would save over-ripe bananas in the freezer (having read tips that "over-ripe" were the best for Banana Bread). My mother would patiently wait for a couple of days before disposing them away. When I saw this version I was thrilled - I had all the ingredients; even the crystallized ginger! I was sold on the picture first, then the post called out to me.
I was embarking on this after a couple of no-show in the kitchen. With prayers  and a lot of concentration I embarked on this experiment. My son had to voice his skepticism; over the disaster that was still on the counter. I did not say anything until the bread went into the oven. I cleared the kitchen, then licked the spatula - was happy with the taste and gave my son a sample as well. Yum...
Then, I went about preparing dinner. It was after dinner was over and nearly towards the end of the baking time, I opened to test the bread. Until then I refused to look at that side of the kitchen!
Can't wait to taste the bread! Writing this post; waiting for the bread to cool well to get a neat slice. All that remained was the crust!

Ingredients:
Butter - 6 Tbsp, melt over a slow flame and cool
Plain Flour - 2 cups
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Baking Soda - 3/4 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Chocolate Chips - 3/4 cup
Candied Ginger - 1/3 cup

Eggs - 2, beaten lightly (I used egg replacer)
Banana - 3, mashed
Yoghurt - 1/4 cup, whisked
Vanilla Essence -1 tsp

Instructions:
Pre-heat oven - 180* C. Take a medium sized loaf pan and spray with non-stick spray.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk well. Add the chocolate chips a candied ginger and whisk to combine. Keep aside.
In a small bowl combine melted butter, eggs (egg replacer), mashed bananas, essence and yoghurt. Stir to mix well.
Pour this into the dry mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
Scrape into the prepared loaf tin. Level the surface.
Bake in a pre-heated oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the loaf turns golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Cool loaf in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto  wire rack until completely cool.
Slice when cold.
Warm it in a microwave and serve.

 This goes for Favorite Recipes Event-Breakfast Recipes
Note:
If the loaf gets browned at the top, cover the top with an aluminium foil.

Comments

Swathi Iyer said…
Delicious banana bread, love it. My house one dish that sell without fanfare is banana bread. Thanks for linking with Favorite recipes event: Breakfast recipes

Popular Posts