ICC: Besan Masala Roti - Indian Bread


The second part of the Indian cooking Challenge was to create this recipe by Chef Sanjeev Kapoor. His recipes are all fabulous and I still remember how I would plan my day around his show "Khan Khazana" (way back in the '90's). I have learnt a lot of techniques from him and love his style of show.
I made this for lunch today. It was flaky and spiced. A different taste that I enjoyed.

Ingredients:
Besan Flour (Kadalai Maavu) - 1 cup
Wheat Flour - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Ghee - 2 Tbsp
Water as required

Masala Filling:
Jeera Powder - 1.5 tsp
Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Dhania Powder - 1/2 tsp
Aamchur - 1/2 tsp
Turmerric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Ghee - 1.5 Tbsp, melted

Instructions:

Take both the Flours in a shallow plate, along with salt and ghee.
Add enough water to get a soft and firm dough.
Mix all the masala powders together in a cup. Mix in melted ghee or oil.
Roll out the dough into even sized discs and apply the masala paste all over evenly.
Fold into half, pressing down lightly. Fold once more into a triangle (quarter).
Roll out thinly once again and cook on a hot tava, flipping over to cook on both sides.
Serve hot with Sweet Mango Pickle, curds and a green salad.

Comments

Priya said…
Seriously we all loved this super flavourful roti.
Nice! I have also recently started experimenting a lot with paranthas.. My staple ones are aalo-pyaaz or plain.. but with so many leafy vegetables around.. I've now graduated to spinach and methi.. will try this one also!

Cheers,
Ashima
Srivalli Jetti said…
Hey I thought I left a comment in this post!..anyway looks so inviting meena

Popular Posts