Vegetable Saagu

 Saagu is a spicy vegetable curry served with Set Dosa or Poori in Karnataka. 
I was contemplating what to cook for dinner - something different but with the ingredients at hand. My mind was blank and I called (as I often do; any excuse is perfect - right?) my friend to brain-storm on the menu. As I picked up the phone I was thinking of the Saagu recipe she had given me, yet I wanted some inspiration from her. 
Great minds think alike! Yes, I made Saagu to serve with Uthappams for dinner. 
She suggested that I use carrots, beans, potatoes, cabbage and knol-kohl. She underlined the fact that no single flavour/taste should dominate.

Ingredients:
Mixed Vegetables: 250 grams 
Ghee / Oil - 1/2 tsp
Curry Laves - 1 sprig

Masala Paste:
Coconut - 1/3 cup 
Khus Khus - 1 tsp
Pottukadalai (Fried Gram) - 1 Tbsp
Green Chillies - 2
Ginger - a small piece
Tamarind - 1 small bit (or you can use Lemon juice)
Turmerric Powder - 1 pinch
Clove - 1
Cinnamon - 1 small piece
Corriander leaves - 1 stalk with tender stems

Instructions:
Chop Vegetables into even sized tiny cubes; in equal amounts.
Boil them in just enough water until crisp.
Grind the masala ingredients together to a smooth paste.
Mix the ground masala into the cooked vegetables and simmer further until tender (the masala should seep into the vegetables) and the gravy is thick.
Heat some oil/ghee and take it off heat. Drop in the curry leaves and pour into hot curry.

Serve hot with Uthappams (Top Uthappam with a blob of butter if you please!).
Uthappam is thick and spongy like a pancake. It is generally cooked on both sides on a hot tava. For a healthier take, cover the Dosa with a lid and cook over a low flame until steamed through.

Comments

Popular Posts