# Baking Eggless - Butter Cakes

Butter cake is a basic cake and an easy one to attempt for novice baker. I was happy to see Gayatri's choice for Baking Eggless this month. I thought it would be quite easy and straightforward and I wanted to experiment with buttermilk as a substitute. I did my research and was quite confident. The first test - batter was tasty and light (happy me). Good!
After 20 minutes of baking time (given in the recipe) the centre was still gooey. Another 10 minutes, and then another 10, and finally it was baked through. Phew!
Oh never; never take any thing for granted. Never. It did try my patience, and am waiting to slice through the loaf (fingers crossed).
Result:- Soft and tasty.

Ingredients:
Butter - 1/2 cup + 3 rounded Tbsp
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Buttermilk - 1 cup + 1/3 cup (or use 3 Eggs)
Plain Flour - 1 cup + 2/3 cup
Baking Powder - 2 tsp
Cranberries - 2 tbsp + 1 Tbsp
Walnuts - 2 tbsp, chopped
Light Brown Sugar - 2 Tbsp
Cinnamon - 1 tsp

Instructions:
Pre-heat oven to 170* C.
Soak 2 Tbsp cranberries in just enough water for 15 minutes. Drain.
Sieve flour with baking powder.
Cream 1/2 cup butter with 1/2 cup sugar.
Add buttermilk slowly, beating well after each addition (add 1/2 cup at a time). If the mixture curdles, add a Tablespoon of flour before the next addition of buttermilk.
Fold in flour and then the cranberries and walnuts.
Transfer to a greased and floured tin.
Bake in pre-heated oven until golden brown. It took about 40 minutes in my oven for it to bake through; and I used the grill mode for 2 minutes for a golden brown hue.
Mix 3 Tbsp butter with cinnamon and light brown sugar.
Take the tin out of the oven and spread with butter-cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Remove from tin after 10 minutes.
Serve warm.

Blog Event  Linking it to Vardhini's Bake Fest #12 hosted at Fun & Food Cafe;  "I love Baking" and VFAM - Cranberry

Other Eggless Bakes - # Baking Egg-less Biscotti

I used Cranberries and Walnuts instead of Raisins. As I am writing this post, it just occurred to me that the next time I should substitute applesauce for eggs - as the combination of apples, cranberries, walnuts and cinnamon would definitely be great! Yes?

Quick Ref for Egg Substitutes @ Chef in You and Wiki Answers.
More about Butter Cakes @ Joy of Baking

Comments

Gayathri Kumar said…
Cake looks so soft and moist Minu. Nice work on the challenge..
Gajus kitchen said…
The cake looks so Soft and yummy and like the addition of cranberries and walnuts
Priya said…
Wow, wat a super tempting topping, very attractive.. Cake looks seriously super spongy and moist.
I love the combo of cranberries and walnuts..and I have still to try butter milk as a substitute..book marking!!
Archana Potdar said…
Wow this is delicious.
tartanpancakes said…
This looks good, I need a eggless cake in my recipe book as always seem to have a desire to bake when there are no eggs in the house!
Hema said…
The cake has come out very well Minu..
Minu said…
Thanks Vaishali. You are an inspiration!
Minu said…
This one is Gayatri's find - credit goes to her. Loved the cake.
Minu said…
You are sure to enjoy this one. Ty
cake really came out well.. very yummy
great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com
Though I make cakes using eggs, its nice to have a recipe w/o eggs . cake looks good!
Unknown said…
Cake looks super soft and moist. Love the texture. Good try with buttermilk. I tried with bananas, chia seeds, and soda. Loved the challenge. Jayanthi (www.sizzlingveggies.com)

Popular Posts