Sprouted Moong (Pav) Bhaji

Debating on what to make for dinner with my limited stock of vegetables, I scrounged the fridge. Not wanting to make Sambhar, or Pachadi - the usual side dishes; nor another major Potato dish as we had Baked Potato for dinner last night; I wanted to fall back on my easy Tomato Kosumalli. As I found the bag of sprouts hiding behind the Dosa Batter; I took it out and zeroed in to make Pav Bhaji. I have used it as a filling for Sandwich; a recipe that was not done in a very long time. Green Gram Sprouts are seriously healthy and can be deliciously (and easily) incorporated into our daily food.
I tend to pick up a  pack of sprouts (Moong only; I hardly ever buy the Mixed Sprouts bag.) as it is present in the freezer section along with Cheese / Butter. Some easy snacks when you have sprouts in hand are Rissoles, Cutlets, Bhel, Pancakes and Pesarettu - similar to this Moong Dal Dosa. It can also be substituted for Moong Dal in dishes like Pongal and Khichadi.

Ingredients:
Green Gram Sprouts - 1 cup
Potatoes - 2, medium sized
Onion - 1, small
Tomato - 1, large
Capsicum - 1/4 cup, chopped fine
Oil + Butter - 3 Tbsp
Pav Bhaji Masala - 2 tsp
Turmerric Pd - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Corriander Leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped
Aamchoor / Lemon Juice to taste
Garam Masala Powder - 2 pinches

Ingredients:
Wash the sprouts very well. {Steam cook in the Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes if you prefer.}
Boil and mash the potatoes roughly.
Chop the onions and tomatoes finely.
Heat oil + butter and saute the onions. When they turn pink, add capsicum and tomatoes.
Saute on high heat, stirring continuously for 2 minutes.
Lower flame and add turmerric powder, Pav Bhaji Masala powder and salt.
Simmer until well blended, stirring as needed.
Add the potatoes and sprouts. Cook covered until soft.
Mash lightly using a potato masher.
Sprinkle garam masala powder, aamchoor (or lemon juice) and corriander leaves.
Serve with a little butter on top of the Sabji along with a Pav (Bread) of your choice.
Today, I served it with Dosa.
Serve with toasted Idli 
Left over Bhaji?  Try this ;)

Sending it to Bon Vivant # 9 - Simply Sides and Favourite Recipes Event - Vegetarian
Ongoing Events 

Comments

Laura said…
Yummmmmmmm. Here I think I would need to sprout the dal myself. But you can wrap just about anything up in a dosa and feed to me. This looks fantastic.
My mom does it all the time.. For me somehow not comfortable with it..yours looks great should try again
Great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com
Vimitha Anand said…
Healthy side dish... Happy to follow u... Do join me when u find time
DivyaGCP said…
Healthy, delicious and very inviting.. First time here..
Love your space.

Divya's Culinary Journey
Swathi Iyer said…
Delicious and healthy pav bhaji, thanks for sharing with Favorite recipes event: Vegetarian recipes
Torviewtoronto said…
this looks wonderful
Sumee said…
Very different change from normal pav bhaji.. thx for linking it up.

Popular Posts