#OPOS Mango Kesari - the EASIEST way possible way

The sweet of Tamilnadu is Rava Kesari. A simple and jiffy preparation made at the drop of a hat. It requires skill to get the texture right. In my experience simple recipes are also the trickiest. I know this for a fact as I have failed in reproducing many simple and easy recipes. Long-drawn procedures may seem daunting, but have definitely yielded better results.
Thus was my observation. Till now.
To be honest, this is the first time I have made Kesari. Rava Kesari is not high on my list of sweets. At home it is Kavunarisi for all those special occasions. Personal favourite is Chum-Chum (Drooling at just the thought of the Bengali delicacy).
Fruit Kesari - Pineapple, or mixed fruits are most popular variations in weddings and special events. My friend swears by Apple Kesari. Both Mango and Chikoo Kesari are seasonal. Recently (on FB) I came across Badham Kesari.

"And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

Being a part of the FB group called 'United By Food' I got to see many posts of Mango Kesari. Mr. Rama Krishnan de-mystifies recipes and his instructions are clear to follow. It was encouraging to know the number of attempts he had made to standardise the recipe. Close to 28. This gave me the much needed confidence. Many - many mouthwatering and stunning picture posts later I geared myself to make this. Mental preparation, sans excuses.

Ingredients:
Sugar - 1 cup*
Ghee - 3 teaspoon
Water - 1 cup
Mango Pulp - 1.5 cups (1 mango, approx)
Cardamom Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Double roasted Rava (Semolina)** - 1/2 cup
Cashewnuts and Raisins - 2 tablespoons, fried in ghee (Optional)

Instructions:
Mix together Sugar, Ghee, Water, Mango Pulp (add a few chunks if you want some texture) and Cardamom Powder in a 2-Litre Pressure cooker***.
Cook on medium flame for 1 whistle (approximately 15 minutes).
Release steam manually - using a spoon, carefully lift the weight placed on the pressure cooker to release the steam. DO NOT BE IN A HURRY.
Add in the roasted Rava and close cooker. Leave undisturbed (off the flame) for 20 minutes to cook in the residual heat. WAIT - this was the toughest part in the whole procedure. Waiting!
After 20 minutes, open the cooker and garnish with fried nuts and raisins.
Simple and effortless with a classy end product that is so smooth and velvetty.

Notes:
Sugar* - The quantity of depends on how sweet the mangoes are. I feel 3/4 cup would be fine.
Double roasted Rava (Semolina)** - Roast the Rava over a slow flame till it loses the raw taste.
 2-Litre Pressure cooker***. - Recipes are standardised in a 2 Litre pressure cooker. It is best to follow the recipe verbatim. This is of prime importance in the OPOS (One Pot One Shot) recipes.

Want to try it the traditional way? This is the best with step by step pictures.

Comments

How to standardise 7.5 lt cooker? I dont have 2l cooker
Minu said…
Hi. This recipe is standardised for a 2 liter cooker.
Will publish a post on standardisation of cookers shortly. PLease bear with me

Popular Posts